Image Map

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Division Dollar Deal


Happy Friday Eve! I am so happy that this week is almost over, I love my new kiddos but shew they wear me out! This week we have been practicing loooong division. We spent the first two weeks or so of school working on multi-digit multiplication and my kids flew through that, but man they have been struggling through division. 

Some of my students are flying through and then we have some who are struggling. The 5th grade standard for division says "Find whole-nunber quotients of whole numbers up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors" which is just a step further than what 4th grade students are required to do. One strategy that I have found that works well in my room is allowing students who've got it to go a little further and one way I do this is with my Roll a Division Problem activity. 


This activity allows students to roll up to 7 dice to create their very own division problem. I find this helpful because no matter the students ability level, they are able to create a problem that is challenging enough for them. 


Some of my students are working on 3 digit dividends and 1 digit divisors while others are working on 4 digit dividends and 3 digit divisors. I also love it because its an quick and easy activity to prep for. All you need is to print the recording sheet and activity sheet to fit your students needs and you are ready to go. You can even print on colored yardstick and laminate for centers or to keep from year to year. 


My students love this activity because it is fun! Some of them have even added their own spin to the game to see who can solve the biggest problem or a problem the quickest. If you are interested in trying out this activity click here! Even better, its a dollar deal!  


No comments:

Post a Comment