Image Map

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Figurative Language



Halloween week is one of my favorite times of the year! I'm always a little sad to see it go, but I know that Thanksgiving and Christmas are soon to follow. Here in 5th grade we are trying to get as much spooky in as we can before October 31st comes and goes. 

In reading we are beginning our unit on figurative language which meets the 5th grade standard for literature in craft and structure R.L.5.4 determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes. I begin with figurative language in general, most of the time my kids have a pretty good understanding of what is literal and what is figurative so I've finally found a text that challenges them enough!


 "The Highway Man" by Alfred Noyes is a spooky poem that really sets the Halloween mood, and it keeps my students interested. Although this poem has some mature content in its second part, I find that the first part catches students interest and challenges them. 



I begin with modeling for my students how to identify figurative language while reading, I don't specifically focus on any type of figurative language, I am just trying to get my kiddos to pick out what is literal what what is figurative. Then, I model how I form my own interpretation of the figurative language. We spend ALOT of time talking about interpretations and what that means. 
The best part of this lesson is getting to listen to how students interpret the figurative language and to see if they can summarize the story! I also hit on the following standards while working with this text, although it is not my focus. 

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.5
Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.10
By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, at the high end of the grades 4-5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.


If you are interested in using this activity in your own classroom, you can find it at my TPT store for only $1.00! That is a great deal if you ask me. I hope you enjoy your Halloween week and get into some spooky stories! 


No comments:

Post a Comment