Image Map

Monday, June 10, 2019

Spanish Explorers {Google Interactive}

So, its been forever, practically 2 years (it really has been!) but I've been a busy person! I had a baby on January 8th of 2018, I know that was a while ago but babies can keep a person busy! Anyway, I'm back and ready to share with you one of my favorite Google Interactive projects that we completed in 5th grade last year. 

Next year I will be teaching 5th grade again, but only social studies and math, so I've been reflecting on some of the projects that we did last year to see what I loved, what I didn't love so much and how I can make these projects work with my new departmentalized schedule. 



I've always had students research on some of the most influential Spanish Conquistadors of the Age of Exploration but last year I changed it up a bit. One struggle that I always had was with the content that students would chose to put on their presentation, so last year I had pre-determined information that I wanted students to include. 

Students would include a short bio of their conquistador, where they explored, their culture, the interactions they had with the native peoples they encountered as well as their motivations for exploring. 


Students also had spots on each slide to add images or videos that would go along with each specific slide. I divided my students into groups where each student would then be responsible for researching and completing one of the slides in the Google Slides Presentation. This allowed me to not only have a group grade, but individual grades as well. 

This was a quick project that my students were able to complete and learn about 6 of the major Spanish Conquistadors of the Age of Exploration. 

Click the image below if you are interested in using this project for your class! 



1 comment: