Image Map

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Math in the Real World

Lets face it, sometimes its hard to show students why we need to learn math in the real world. I'm not 100% sure when students will need to know how to calculate the volume of a rectangular prism, but I do know why students needs to know how to add and subtract decimals. Today I've got two ideas for you on how to show students why they really do need to know how to add and subtract decimals. 


My frist idea came to me one day in my own classroom. Students were so excited to get their November Scholastic Order and I heard a conversation between a few of my students on how much their parents would let them spend and how many books they would be able to get. Then it hit me, why was I not using this as a resource in my classroom? Quickly I created a graphic organizer for students to spend a fictional $50 on Scholastic books. 

After students spend time looking at the order form and picking their books, they have to total up their order, which means they have to add decimals in a real world setting. After they tally up their order they must then answer a few questions about their order which requires them also subtract decimals. One tip that I have with this activity would be to require students to use the "actual price" in the scholastic book, otherwise they won't be using decimals. If you want to try out this activity in your classroom, just click below to grab my freebie graphic organizer. 


My second idea came while I was planning out my Black Friday shopping list. I realized that I was using math and actually analyzing my math. This year I have LOVED using Google Classroom and I knew that students would enjoy looking at the Black Friday adds. So I created a Google Interactive math activity that also relates math to the real world for students. 


Students are asked to look at three different Black Friday ads and make their Christmas list. While making their Christmas list they must show the price, discount and discounted total for each of their wish listed items, for each of the three stores. After creating their list they are asked several questions about their list, and asked to analyze which store their parents should shop at. Can you say engaging, real world math? I can't wait to try out this activity with my students. 


What I really love about this activity is that it can be used in a 1:1 classroom or a classroom with just a few devices. All of the links for the Black Friday ads are provided and students can record their data on paper recording sheets or interactively on Google Slides. If you are interested in this product try it out at a discounted price until Monday by clicking below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment